Sunday, March 30, 2008

Stolen food meme..........


Stole this from Soul:


What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?

When i was about to turn 8 years old I went to visit my dad in Puerto Rico. He taught me how to make a grilled cheese sandwich , jiffy pop popcorn,And toast with sour cream . I think i gained 10 pounds in the 2 weeks I was there.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?

No one really. When my mom did cook , she usually made stuff that I hated. Arroz compo yo.Stuff full of onions. I was a pretty picky eater as a kid. One day there i was with 3 kids that had to be fed. I gradually went from Hamburger helper and mac and cheese to finer foods ...as the budget allowed.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

yes ,I do as a matter of fact..:))

See above. (stupid blogger won't let me move the picture)

That's my mom pregnant with soul. All gussied up cooking (or pretending to cook) a turkey. lol

Hubby carving up a turkey and some lobster rolls,taken in Maine.


Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?

I have a hard time telling when meat is done. So I tend to overcook it.And baking is not my forte either. I'm good with brownies, drop cookies, etc... but never attempted yeast rolls or biscuits.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?

Most valued utensil:

My coffee press!

Sharp knives (hard to find around here)

My electric knife. (love that thing!!)


Biggest letdown:

This would have to be a meat cleaver. Years ago ,when I had just met my future spouse. I once mentioned to him that my kids somehow lost every knife in the house.

A couple days later ,I receive a set of knives in the mail along with a card that said "I hope I'm not putting sharp weapons in the wrong hands. " ha ha

The box had been open for maybe 2 seconds ,when my middle son decides to try out the meat cleaver on a pile of napkins. All of a sudden I hear a stream of cuss words. "f*%6! sh*t! I am RETARDED!!!"

What had he done ?? Why chopped the tips nearly off ,4 of his fingers , of course. Right through the fingernails.

Off to the E.R. :)

Later when my future hubby called ,the other kids told him "oh she had to take Two to the hospital cuz he cut his fingers off with those knives you sent her. "

I kept that meat cleaver wrapped up in duct tape for the next 8 years so no one could touch it. :)


Appliance I would like:

A second fridge in my garage.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!

Still eat sour cream on toast.

Gravy and bread.

Frosting with no cake.

What are three edibles or dishes you simply don't want to live without?

Coffee

Cheese

Good bread. I hate plain old white or wheat bread. give me sourdough or marble rye!

(there's so much more - it's hard to limit it to only three)

Your favorite ice-cream: Orange sherbet with dark chocolate chips
You will probably never eat: shrimp,crab,escargot,salmon
Your own signature dish:
Greek casserole.


Any embarrassing eating habits?

I don't think I have any of those. :)


consider yourself tagged !!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When she was married to your dad, I was always impressed what a lady she way... dressed to the hilt and when she came to arkansas, even her suitcases smelled heavenly! She WOULD dress up to cook a turkey! with heels, no less! auntie j

Anonymous said...

Smocha - Meat overcooked? Allow me to suggest a meat thermometer. They are really great. G5

SOUL said...

lemmee help you out with the eating habit one-- you eat on the phone! maybe it's just me.. but it bugs the crap outta me.

i can't believe that you don't eat salmon.. even my picky eater of the century will eat salmon. YUM.

and mom. dear ole mom. what can i say about her-- where's the lobster pic of dad? i'da rather seen that one! :))

anyhow-- good job. dontcha just love FOOD-
happy monday